Close Menu

What Legal Forms Need to be Filed for a Divorce in Maryland?

IfDivorce File with Wedding Bands you are considering a divorce in Maryland, you may have questions relating to the legal forms you will need to complete. Depending on your situation, the divorce process can be lengthy, and it’s best to start as soon as possible.

Our experienced lawyers at Lebovitz Law can help you stay informed during a divorce in Maryland. We are committed to helping all of our clients obtain a beneficial outcome. Schedule a consultation with our attorneys to receive legal guidance you can rely on.

The Legal Forms You’ll Need to File for Divorce

To file for divorce, you’ll first need to know the difference between a limited and absolute divorce. A limited divorce is essentially a separation between a married couple that is supervised by the court. If you’re seeking alimony, custody, child support, or use and possession of family property without grounds for divorce, this is the form you’ll want to fill out. An absolute divorce, on the other hand, permanently ends the marriage. Once the process is complete, both parties are able to remarry. However, you’ll need to prove that you have legal grounds for a divorce first. For a limited divorce, you’ll need to file a Complaint for Limited Divorce (CC-DR-021). Otherwise, you’ll need to fill out a Complaint for Absolute Divorce (CC-DR-020).

Some additional forms you may need for a divorce in Maryland include:

How to File for Divorce

To file for divorce in Maryland, submit the correct documents to the circuit court in the county where you or your spouse reside. Make sure to make additional copies so you know what documents have been filed and what information they contain. In Maryland, whoever files the first complaint for divorce is responsible for providing a copy to the other party. This is known as the “service of process.” This is not something you want to forget; in fact, the court must receive proof that your spouse was given a copy.

How to Respond to a Filing Initiated by Your Partner

If a case for absolute or limited divorce has been filed by your spouse, you have 30 days to formulate a response. This deadline extends to 60 days if you reside in another state, and 90 days if you live outside of the country.

When you fill out a counter form, make a copy of each document you plan to submit to the court. Additionally, be sure to fill out the section entitled “Certificate of Service” at the end of your response form. This confirms that you’ve mailed all necessary copies to your spouse.

Getting a Divorce in Maryland? The Attorneys at Lebovitz Law, LLC Can Help

At Lebovitz Law, LLC, we understand how difficult the divorce process can be. If you’re seeking a divorce in Maryland, you’ll need assistance from a legal expert. Whether you are searching for an experienced lawyer to assist with your divorce, negotiating child support in Maryland or other issues, the attorneys at Lebovitz Law, LLC can help. To learn more about how we can assist you, please contact us today at (410) 657-6494.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn