Towson Family Law Attorney
Family law deals with a time of profound change in the lives of individuals and families. Changes like these open up new chapters in your life, and they can be times of stress and anxiety if you don’t know what to expect or are unsure how these changes will affect you and your children. Lebovitz Law is here to guide you and represent you so that you do know what to expect and are confident your family law matters are being handled by a skilled legal professional dedicated to meeting your needs and helping you reach your goals. For help with divorce or cases involving questions of paternity, domestic violence, adoption and other matters in Baltimore County and Maryland statewide, contact our experienced Towson family law attorney today.
At Lebovitz Law, you’ll find a Maryland family law attorney with over 30 years of experience representing parties on all sides of family law matters. We’ll know how to handle your case right from the start to help you get a successful result in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Transparency – Making Sure We Understand Your Needs and Goals
We believe that keeping our clients informed and educated is the best way to ensure that their needs are being met. We’ll work with you and involve you in your case from the very start, and we’ll keep you informed and updated every step of the way. We take the time to answer any and all questions you may have about your case at the beginning and throughout the course of your representation. By engaging in open and honest communication from the outset, we ensure that we understand your needs and goals and that you are comfortable knowing how your case is progressing.
Strategy – Resolving Complex Family Law Matters Efficiently and Effectively
Going through a divorce, child custody dispute, or other family law matter is an emotional time. That’s understandable and expected, but the decisions being made in your case need to be made rationally and in your best interests. While you are processing your emotions, we’ll move forward in your case in a manner designed to avoid conflict whenever possible and resolve it effectively when conflict can’t be avoided. In our experience, dealing with difficult issues calmly and rationally yield better results than letting emotions take control. Our firm is experienced in a variety of means of conflict resolution and is equipped to settle your case through negotiation, mediation or collaborative law with dignity, respect, and your best interests foremost in mind.
Helpful Advice for Your Case
In order to receive the best representation possible, it’s imperative that you’re honest with me. I’ll be transparent in return, keeping you updated throughout your case. I’ll give you my opinion on what I believe are your best options.
Kill Them with Kindness
In legal matters involving family, it’s easy to allow your emotions to get the best of you. Not all problems can be solved with a shark-like approach. By dealing with issues calmly and rationally, you’ll be able to better able to avoid conflict.
Open Yourself to Alternatives
You may be entering your case with a specific strategy in mind. However, things don’t always go according to plan. Don’t close yourself off to other options, whether they involve mediation, collaborative law, or other possible solutions.
Comprehensive Towson Family Law Practice
You can count on Lebovitz Law for help with a host of family law matters, including the following:
- Divorce – Whether seeking a limited divorce or an absolute divorce based on mutual consent or other grounds, our divorce lawyers can guide you and assist you through every step of the process to make sure your divorce proceeds smoothly and resolves successfully. Importantly, we’ll make sure your rights are protected and your interests represented when it comes to matters such as jointly-owned property, spousal support or alimony, child custody and child support. A divorce settles these matters and impacts you and your family for years to come, so it’s vital to settle the divorce right to meet your needs and prevent problems down the road.
- Paternity – Establishing a child’s parentage (paternity) affects the rights of a father to seek custody, visitation, and a role in parenting, as well as the rights of a mother to seek child support. Establishing paternity can also directly impact the child in a multitude of ways. Lebovitz Law represents mothers, fathers, children, and other interested parties in paternity proceedings as well as divorce cases and child custody disputes where difficult paternity legal issues are involved.
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements – Lebovitz Law provides practical, thoughtful, and helpful advice and representation in the negotiation, drafting, and review of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. These agreements can take a lot of pressure off an engaged or married couple, enabling them to make joint decisions about marital and separate property, spousal support and alimony, and other matters relevant to their shared and independent financial security. If you have children from a previous marriage, if you own a business, or if you simply want to make sure your marriage is based on shared expectations and mutual understanding, talk to Lebovitz Law about a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement.
- Domestic Violence – Maryland law provides a means for obtaining protective orders whenever a family or household member is committing abusive acts against another family or household member. Protective orders can involve strong no-contact orders that can force a person out of the house and enforce child custody arrangements as well. Lebovitz Law represents people on both sides of domestic violence accusations inside and outside of divorce proceedings and child custody disputes. It’s important to have knowledgeable, effective representation to protect your rights in this vital area.
- Other Matters – The comprehensive family law practice at Lebovitz Law encompasses a variety of other matters as well, including father’s rights, grandparent’s rights, stepparent adoption, same-sex marriages and adoption, and dealings with Child Protective Services. No matter what your needs are, our experienced Maryland family law attorney is ready to answer your questions and help you reach your goals.
Divorce Services Offered by Lebovitz Law
At Lebovitz Law, we understand the emotional and legal complexities of divorce. We offer a full spectrum of services to support you throughout this challenging transition, helping you achieve the best possible outcome while respecting your needs and priorities.
Imagine a neutral third party – a skilled mediator – guiding you and your spouse through open communication and negotiation. That’s the essence of mediation! Mediation offers a valuable alternative to the adversarial nature of courtroom litigation. Through facilitated discussions and collaborative problem-solving, you and your spouse can:
Exploring Mediation as a Conflict Resolution Method
Divorce can feel like an emotional earthquake, shaking the foundations of your life and leaving you unsure where to stand. Add conflicting desires and strained communication to the mix, and navigating the legal separation becomes even more daunting. This is where mediation emerges as a beacon of hope, offering a collaborative path toward resolution.
Benefits of Choosing Alternative Dispute Resolution
Divorce doesn’t have to be a costly, stressful battle. Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) methods like mediation offer a refreshing alternative packed with benefits:
- Save Money & Time: Avoid courtroom costs and lengthy processes.
- Privacy Matters: Keep discussions confidential, away from public scrutiny.
- Empower Yourself: Craft solutions that genuinely meet your needs.
- Reduce Conflict: Foster a respectful and collaborative environment.
- Tailored Solutions: Create personalized agreements that work for you.
- Win-Win Outcomes: Find solutions that consider everyone’s interests.
- Preserve Relationships: Prioritize positive communication for future interactions.
Explore ADR with Lebovitz Law – your guide to navigating divorce with clarity and control.
Property division is a crucial aspect of divorce, and at Lebovitz Law, we understand the emotional and financial complexities involved. Whether you seek an amicable solution through mediation or require experienced legal representation in court, we are here to guide you through the process with clarity and compassion.
Equitable Distribution Principles in Maryland
Understanding the state’s Equitable Distribution principles is crucial for navigating property division. Unlike community property states, Maryland divides assets and debts “fairly,” not necessarily equally. There’s no set formula. Courts consider various factors to determine a fair division, including
- Length of marriage: Longer marriages may weigh towards a more equal split.
- Contributions of each spouse: Financial and non-financial contributions like homemaking or childcare are considered.
- Separate property: Inherited assets or gifts remain with the original owner.
- The economic situation of each spouse: Future earning potential and financial needs are factored in.
- Debts: Debts accrued during the marriage are typically divided equitably.
- Child custody arrangements: Supporting children may influence property division.
Expert Guidance on Fair Asset and Debt Division
Divorce in Maryland involves crucial decisions, only as impactful as dividing assets and debts fairly. At Lebovitz Law, we offer expert guidance tailored to your unique situation, ensuring you navigate this critical process with clarity and confidence.
Don’t face this alone. Contact Lebovitz Law today for a consultation. We’ll guide you through asset and debt division with expertise, compassion, and a laser focus on achieving a fair and secure financial future.
Addressing Complex Financial Situations in Divorce
Divorce is never easy, and when complex finances are involved, it can feel overwhelming. But you don’t have to go it alone. Here’s why seeking expert guidance is crucial
Alimony serves as spousal support, providing financial assistance to one spouse after the divorce to maintain their standard of living or become self-sufficient.
While divorce marks a fresh start, the question of financial support often remains, particularly regarding alimony. Stepping into uncharted territory can be daunting, but understanding what alimony entails is crucial for those seeking and receiving potential spousal support payments.
Understanding Alimony Laws in Maryland
Divorce brings new beginnings, but financial questions often linger, especially around alimony, also known as spousal support. Unlike community property states, Maryland operates under “equitable distribution,” aiming for a fair, not necessarily equal, division of assets and debts.
Two primary types exist rehabilitative alimony, which offers temporary support for acquiring necessary skills or education, and indefinite alimony (rarely awarded) for those unable to maintain a reasonable standard of living due to age, illness, or disability.
Factors Considered in Determining Spousal Support
Judges consider several pieces to solve the alimony puzzle: Length of marriage, Financial circumstances of both spouses, Contributions to the marriage (financial and non-financial), Age and health of each spouse, Child custody arrangements (if applicable), and Tax implications.
Lebovitz Law’s Advocacy for Fair Alimony Arrangements
At Lebovitz Law, we understand the emotional and financial complexities. We are dedicated to helping you achieve a fair and sustainable outcome.
Our team of experienced attorneys possesses in-depth knowledge of Maryland alimony laws. We take a client-centric approach, carefully listening to your unique circumstances and crafting personalized strategies to meet your goals. Whether you are seeking or facing alimony payments, we provide comprehensive representation, guiding you through every step of the process – from initial consultations to court proceedings, if necessary.
Child custody disputes can be emotionally charged and legally complex. If you’re facing this situation in Maryland, here’s a concise overview to start:
Importance of Best Interests of the Child Standard
The “Best Interests of the Child” standard is the cornerstone principle in determining child custody arrangements in Maryland and most jurisdictions worldwide. Its importance cannot be overstated, as it ensures that decisions prioritize the well-being and development of the child above all else. Here’s a breakdown of its key aspects:
Centrality is the primary and overarching consideration in all child custody decisions. Judges weigh every factor through the lens of what best serves the child’s needs and promotes optimal development.
Flexibility is not a rigid formula but a flexible framework that allows judges to consider various factors. These factors can vary depending on each case’s specific circumstances and each child’s unique needs.
Exploring the Collaborative Divorce Process
Unlike traditional litigation, collaborative divorce involves working with your spouse, your chosen lawyers, and potentially other professionals like financial advisors, all committed to reaching a mutually agreeable settlement outside of court.
Benefits of a Collaborative Approach
Collaborative divorce offers numerous advantages beyond financial gain. By sidestepping courtroom battles, you and your spouse can create a more amicable environment, reducing stress and emotional strain for everyone involved.
The cost-effectiveness is undeniable, avoiding prolonged litigation and its associated fees. Most importantly, you and your partner retain control, shaping the final agreement to meet your unique needs precisely. This collaborative approach can foster a positive relationship, laying a healthy foundation for co-parenting and future interactions, even though your paths may diverge.
Life rarely stands still, and neither do the needs of families. Even after a divorce decree is finalized, circumstances can shift, prompting the need for post-divorce modifications. These adjustments address changes in income, living situations, family dynamics, and even the children’s evolving needs.
While seeking modifications can be daunting, understanding the process empowers you to make informed decisions for your family’s well-being.
Contact Lebovitz Law in Towsnon, Maryland Today
Some of life’s most stressful moments involve family. Don’t let a bump in the road threaten the lives of you and the ones you love. From finalizing your divorce to establishing a child custody arrangement, a knowledgeable family law attorney can be an excellent resource for your case.
Lebovitz Law is passionate about helping individuals and families seek brighter futures. From our office in Towson, Maryland, we represent clients in Baltimore County and throughout the state. Call our experienced Towson family law attorney today.
Towson Divorce FAQs
What is an uncontested divorce?
This type of divorce involves the married couple agreeing on major divorce issues such as child custody, spousal support, child support, and property division.
Who can file for divorce in Maryland?
Anyone can file for divorce in Maryland provided they have a valid marriage and are domiciled in the state.
How long will my divorce take?
The amount of time a divorce takes in Maryland depends on various factors. An uncontested divorce usually takes 60 to 90 days if both parties agree on the major divorce issues. On the other hand, a contested divorce involving a trial may take up to a year.
What types of divorce cases does Lebovitz Law handle in Towson, Maryland?
Lebovitz Law handles a wide range of divorce cases in Towson, Maryland, including:
- Uncontested Divorce: When both parties agree on all divorce terms, Lebovitz Law can help you navigate the legal process efficiently and cost-effectively.
- Contested Divorce: If you and your spouse cannot agree on certain aspects of your divorce, Lebovitz Law will represent you in court to protect your rights and interests.
- Collaborative Divorce: If you and your spouse are committed to resolving your differences amicably outside of court, Lebovitz Law can guide you through the collaborative divorce process.
- High-Asset Divorce: Lebovitz Law has experience handling complex divorces involving significant assets, such as businesses, investments, and real estate.
- Military Divorce: Lebovitz Law understands the unique challenges faced by military families going through divorce and can provide specialized guidance and support.
How does the divorce process work in Towson, Maryland?
- Initial Consultation: Discuss your situation with a qualified divorce lawyer in Towson. They can assess your case, provide legal advice, and outline potential strategies.
- Filing for Divorce: Your lawyer will help you file the necessary paperwork with the Circuit Court for Baltimore County.
- Discovery Phase: Both parties exchange information and gather evidence relevant to the case, such as financial records and child custody documentation.
- Negotiation or Mediation: If possible, attempt to reach an agreement with your spouse on issues like child custody, property division, and alimony through negotiation or mediation.
- Trial (if necessary): If an agreement is not reached, the case goes to trial, where a judge hears arguments and makes decisions based on the evidence presented.
Final Decree: Once all issues are resolved, the court issues a final decree formalizing the divorce terms.