Make the call to Lebovitz Law
A small scale firm with large scale results

Family Law is composed of several different areas of focus. Whether it is a divorce involving Child Custody and/or child support, or protecting your assets with a last will & testament, Lebovitz Law is the only law firm you need.  We also offer legal representation for Adoption, Guardianships, and Domestic Violence cases. Our legal team has the skill and compassion to delicately handle these uneasy matters.  We know that dealing with Family Law situations can be a difficult time, and you don't have to go through it alone.

In addition to family law, we can also provide legal counsel for Real Estate, Foreclosure, and Civil Litigation cases.

Client review

Legal Practice Areas

Richard D. Lebovitz, Esq., and the experienced staff at Lebovitz Family Law will help guide you through the complex legal system and give you the answers you need to make informed decisions about your case.

Separation agreements, alimony, spousal support and annulments

Divorce and related legal matters can be complex. Lebovitz Law LLC works closely with clients to help them get through what may be the most challenging times of their lives.

Attorney Services, Towson MD - DivorceThe attorneys at Lebovitz Law can guide you through the process and if the parties are able to reach an agreement, we can prepare a marital separation and settlement agreement to spell out all issues which are agreed to resulting in reduced costs, fees and potentially an uncontested divorce hearing.

  • Separation agreements
  • Alimony
  • Spousal support
  • Annulments

If you're going through a divorce, you probably have a lot weighing on your mind. Lebovitz Law LLC can guide you through the legal issues related to your divorce so that you can focus on moving forward with your life.

Lebovitz Law LLC can:

  • Review existing prenuptial agreements
  • Help you resolve child custody and visitation disputes
  • Fight to keep your parental rights intact
  • Negotiate child support and spousal support payments
  • Negotiate the division of property and marital assets

Call today to talk to a compassionate lawyer about your needs and concerns.

Divorce FAQs

 When can I file for a Divorce?

In the state of Maryland, you normally must be separated, living separate and apart from one another in separate houses for more than one year prior to filing for an absolute divorce. There are some exceptions to this general rule. You may file for a limited divorce without being separated for more than one year.

Effective October 1, 2015 the Maryland Legislature created a new class for absolute divorce. If the parties have no minor children and have a signed marital separation agreement resolving all marital property issues, then they may file for an absolute divorce without waiting for a one year separation. Technically they can still reside under the same roof. Both parties would have to attend the uncontested divorce hearing.

 What is a Limited Divorce?

A limited divorce is a legal separation that allows you to file in the Circuit Court for issues of child custody, child support, spousal support/temporary alimony and use and possession of the marital home. The court will not consider marital property issues during a limited divorce.

Child Support
Financial, medical and emotional support for children

Child support cases are often complex, requiring representation from a knowledgeable lawyer.

Attorney Services, Towson MD - Child SupportThere are three main types of child support cases:

  • Establishing child support,
  • Modifying child support, and
  • Enforcing child support obligations.

Child support is based upon the gross monthly wages of the parents of a minor child. For Basic calculations look at the Maryland Child Support Guidelines. Child Support cases can be more complex when one party is unemployed, underemployed, runs a small business or receives irregular income. You need a lawyer who will review your case and explain all steps necessary to obtain the best results for you and hour minor children.

Enforcing Child Support

When the parent charged with paying child support fail to make these payments or make them on time, a private party or the state can file enforcement actions on a child support order.

Lebovitz Law LLC’s philosophy is that clients come first. If you’re involved in a child support conflict, Lebovitz Law LLC is here to help.

Call today to schedule a consultation.

Child Support FAQs

 What is Child Support?

Child support by definition is a financial contribution paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent towards the expenses of raising his or her children. This is closely related to the current custody or parenting agreement you may have with the other parent as child support calculations change depending whether you have sole or primary physical custody vs shared physical custody of your minor child.

 How is Child Support Calculated?

Child support cases are based upon the "Maryland Child Support Guidelines . These guidelines take into consideration the costs of raising your children and are based upon your gross monthly income. You also may add in the costs for providing health insurance for your child, extraordinary medical expenses, certain work related expenses, day care expenses, and other recurring expenses.

You should consult with one of our lawyers to help guide you through the forms if you have any questions.

 Click the following link to calculate your child support amount .

Child Custody
Joint custody, sole custody, visitation and disputes

Contested child custody cases can be difficult without an attorney.

Attorney Services, Towson MD - Child CustodyContested custody cases occur when the parties are unable to cooperate or agree on a visitation plan or when one parent is planning on relocating across town or to another state.

There are two types of custody, namely Physical and Legal custody.

Physical custody concerns which parent the minor child lives and there are two types, primary and shared physical custody.

Legal custody involves the ability to communicate and make “legal” decisions such as what religion, school, physician or activities the minor child will be involved with.

The lawyers at Lebovitz Law review all options available to you and help you determine what is in your child’s best interest.

The Lawyers at Lebovitz Law, LLC understand that custody cases are often highly emotional and can be profoundly consequential to our clients and their children. We explain the strengths and weaknesses of particular cases to our clients in every day language so that our client are able to make the best child custody and parenting plan decisions for themselves and their families.

Child Custody FAQs

 What is Legal Custody?

There are generally two types of custody: legal and physical. Legal custody involves making day to day decisions about raising your child such as religion, choice of medical providers, medical treatment (ie braces) schools, and what activities to enroll your children in.

 What is Physical Custody?

Physical custody is which parent has physical possession of the child, where does the child live?

For physical custody there are two types: primary and shared. This is based upon the number of over night visitation the child has with the custodial parents.

Adoption of related or unrelated infants and children

One of the most common form of adoption is step-parent adoption.

Attorney Services, Towson MD - AdoptionIn this proceeding, the parental rights of one parent are terminated to allow a child to be adopted by the other parent's new spouse or domestic partner or by a family member when biological parents are deceased. This is a relatively straightforward process if:

  • All parties involved are in agreement,
  • The proposed adoptive parent is approved by a social worker who conducts an investigation called a post-placement study,
  • and The court gives final approval.

The adoption process can be considerably more arduous when a parent wishes to deny his or her consent to terminate parental rights. Our lawyers can help you understand what your options are in this situation, such as the possibility of forced termination of the other biological parent's parental rights.

Adoption FAQs

 What is Adoption?

Adoption involves the legal and emotional acceptance of a child that was not born to you into your family. The child will have your name and same legal rights of children that were born to you. Adoptions can involve family members or other relatives and may be performed with the consent of other family members.

After the adoption is approved by the court, you will receive an official decree and a birth certificate with your name listed as the parent. It is your responsibility to feed, clothe, house, and educate your adopted child. The adopted child should receive the same love and understanding as a child born to you.

Domestic Violence
Physical, emotional, sexual, economic and psychological abuse

Domestic Violence involves physical, emotional, sexual, economic and psychological abuse.

Attorney Services, Towson MD - Domestic ViolenceThere are two types of civil relief available in Domestic Violence cases:

  • A Protective order
  • A Peace order

Protective Orders are the main type of civil relief sought in Maryland Courts for relief from domestic violence.

Domestic Violence FAQs

 What is Domestic Violence?

Under Maryland law, domestic violence is the act of one or more of the following acts between family or members of a household:

  • Assault
  • An act that places a person in fear of imminent serious bodily harm
  • An act that causes serious bodily harm
  • Rape or sexual offense
  • Attempt rape or sexual offense
  • Stalking
  • False imprisonment, physically keeping you from leaving your home or kidnapping

 What are Protective Orders?

Protective orders are civil orders issued by a judge that orders one person to refrain from committing certain acts against others.

 See also - Peace Orders

 Who Can File for Protective Orders?

You are eligible for a protective order if you and the alleged abuser:

  • Are current or former spouses
  • Have lived together in an intimate relationship for at least 90 days during the past year
  • Are related by blood, marriage, or adoption
  • Are in a parent-child, or stepparent-stepchild relationship and have resided together for at least 90 days during the past year
  • Are in a caretaker-vulnerable adult relationship
  • Are the parents of a child together

 How Can I File for a Protective Order?

  1. Complete a Petition for Protective Order (CC-DC/DV1 )
  2. File at the right location
    • You can file the petition with the clerk’s office of either a Circuit Court or District Court during court business hours
    • If the court is closed, file the petition with the commissioner’s office of the District Court, which is open 24 hours a day. During court business hours, you must file with the court and not one of the commissioners.

 How Can a Protective Order Help Me?

You can ask a judge to order the accused on an interim or temporary protective order until the accused is served or until a final hearing:


  • Stop abusing you.
  • Stay away from you and to not try to contact you or harass you at your home, school, job, or the place where you may be staying, stay away from your child’s school, and from your family members’ homes.
  • Stay out of your house.
  • Leave the home where the two of you live, if you are married to the abuser, AND you were living with your abuser at the time of the abuse.
  • Leave the home if you are not married to the abuser, but were living with the abuser at the time of the abuse, AND your name is on the lease or deed for the house, OR you lived with the abuser for at least 90 days within the past year.
  • The judge can also give you temporary custody of any children that you have with the abuser.

In a Final Protective Order, a judge can order any of the above, and can also:

  • Establish temporary visitation with children.
  • Award emergency family maintenance.
  • Award use and possession of jointly titled car.
  • Order counseling.
  • Order the abuser to surrender all firearms.
  • Order the abuser to pay filing fees and court costs.

 What are Peace Orders?

Similar to Protective orders but for individuals in a dating relationship, a neighbor, a stranger or anyone else that are seeking to have the court order the accuser to be left alone or have the accused to stay away or refrain from any contact.

The nature of the relationship between the parties is not a factor when petitioning the court for a Peace Order. If an individual is entitled to relief in a protective order hearing they are not entitled to seek relief under the Peace Order Act.

 How can I file for a peace order?

  1. Complete a Petition for Peace Order (DC/PO 1 )
  2. File it at the right location
    • File the petition with the clerk’s office of the District Court
    • If the court is closed, file the petition with the commissioner’s office of the District Court, which is open 24 hours a day. During court business hours, however, you must file with the court, not one of the commissioners.

 How can a Peace order help me?

In an Interim or Temporary Peace Order, the judge can order that the abuser:

  • Stop abusing you.
  • Stay away from you and to not try to contact you or harass you at your home, school, job, or the place where you may be staying.

In a Final Peace Order, a judge can order any of the above, and can also:

  • Order counseling.
  • Order mediation.
  • Order the abuser to pay filing fees and court costs.

Legal authority for personal and property interests of another

Guardianship cases involve taking care of loved ones or others when no one else is able to care for them.

Attorney Services, Towson MD - GuardianshipThere are two types of guardianship cases: those involving property and the person.

  • Guardians of property involve handling money and property for those unable to handle their own affairs.
  • Guardians of the person involve taking care of individuals when they are unable to care for themselves. These cases arise when someone has special needs or has been declared mentally or physically unable to care for themselves.

The lawyers at Lebovitz Law, LLC have the experience to handle these cases and resolve any family issues that may arise in these types of cases.

Guardianship FAQs

 What is Guardianship?

Guardianships involve the requesting the courts to award you with control over the person and property over someone else. This term usually applies to elderly parents or relatives but it may also involve minor children who need help when a parent is missing, unable to provide for the child or may be deployed in the military.

Wills & Estates
Wills, trusts, probate and estate planning

Deciding what will happen to your home, your financial assets, and your personal possessions after your passing can be a difficult process. However, if you don’t take the time to make these decisions now, a court may end up dividing your property for you.

Attorney Services, Towson MD - Wills and EstatesTake Control of Your Assets.

Instead of leaving such important decisions to the courts, get the assistance you need to make wise decisions concerning your estate by speaking with Lebovitz Law LLC. Lebovitz Law LLC is dedicated to helping you through every step of your estate planning, and is prepared to assist you with such legal services as:

  • Drafting a will
  • Creating a living trust
  • Creating business, education, retirement, and other trusts
  • Drawing up health care and general powers of attorney

The decisions you make regarding your estate determine how your property will be divided and what estate taxes will need to be paid after your passing.

Be sure that your wishes are carried out by consulting with Lebovitz Law LLC today.

Read more in our Wills & Estates FAQs

 What is a Will?

Wills help individuals state and define their wishes for distribution of their assets to others that they accumulated during their lifetime. It defines the beneficiaries. It allows you to have peace of mind that your affairs are being handled by someone you hand selected and that your children are being cared for by a guardian you selected. It also helps to expedite the probate process and protect your assets.

 Why do I Need a Will?

If you do not have a will, then the courts follow intestacy laws where the state decides how your assets are divided and people may gain access to your assets that you did not intend to inherit anything from you.

 What is a Power of Attorney?

Powers of attorney are useful tools that allow you to appoint someone to make legally binding decisions for you when you are unable or unavailable to handle your own affairs. These decisions can include depositing and cashing checks written to you, paying your bills and taxes, withdrawing money, buying and selling property and handling investments.

Real Estate
Homeowners, buyers, sellers, landlords and tennants

Real Estate is a large area of law encompassing all issues with real property such as deeds, easements, rights of way, eminent domain, buying and selling property and rental property with landlords and tenant law.

Attorney Services, Towson MD - Real EstateThe lawyers at Lebovitz Law, LLC have over 23 years of experience resolving property disputes, preparing deeds, reviewing and drafting sales contracts and all issues involving the division and sale of property.

We can help with all your legal matters involving property. These cases include:

  • Landlord / Tenant cases
  • Issues involving deeds
  • Easements
  • Eminent Domain
  • Purchasing or selling property

Property foreclosure, seizures and lender negotiations

Are you a home owner that is behind on your mortgage payments?

Attorney Services, Towson MD - ForeclosureForeclosure involves homeowners that are behind on their mortgages. These can include forbearance agreements, to pay a lump sum of money to bring a mortgage/loan current; a loss mitigation plan to negotiate a new loan or refinanced loan and preserve home ownership or the actual foreclosure of a home.

The lawyers at Lebovitz Law, LLC have the knowledge and experience to review your case and explain the timeline and what to expect every step of the way. We can negotiate loss mitigation plans, attend foreclosure mediation and negotiate deed in lieu of foreclosure agreements prior to a sale or cash for keys agreements after a sale. We can file litigation to stop a sale in certain cases. All cases are fact specific and require extension documentation to determine the homeowner’s viable ability to afford a home and whether they qualify for all types of loss mitigation products from loan servicers.

We represent homeowners through the loan modification process and at foreclosure mediation hearings. We work with housing counselors and loan servicers to help guide clients through the process and help to save their home or advise on how to proceed every step of the way. We can help with:

  • Property foreclosure
  • Property seizures
  • Lender negotiations
  • Loan Modifications

Civil Litigation
Legal disputes between two or more parties seeking damages

Lebovitz Law works with clients to file civil litigation cases in either the District or Circuit Court of Maryland.

Attorney Services, Towson MD - Civil LitigationYou may also request either a bench (judge only) or jury trial. This is based upon the amount of money being sought in each case.

The District Court generally handles legal matters involving $0-30,000.00 and the Circuit Court handles cases in excess of $30,000. Each court also has exclusive jurisdiction over different types of legal matters.

It is best to consult with one of our lawyers to review your case and to make a proper determination on which court to file your case.

About Lebovitz Law

Richard D. Lebovitz, Esquire

A Personal Greeting...

Richard Lebovitz, Attorney - Towson MDHi, I'm Rich - thanks for visiting my website. As you have probably realized, the legal system is not "user friendly" for the average person. Being involved in a lawsuit or legal proceeding is not typically a common experience in most people's lives. If and when a situation does arise, it is usually accompanied by stress, angst, trepidation and worry.

You don't know what you don't know!

The seemingly endless note taking, paperwork, documentation, research and reading can take hours - if not days or weeks. Even then... are you sure you've got it all correct? A missing document or a wrong answer can result in a variety of issues ranging from mere frustration to postponement (or dismissal) of your case.

Consulting with an experienced attorney should be your first task.

Contact me today and let's schedule a convenient time for a consultation to discuss your specific case. I can offer valuable details and other information and help you to fully understand your options.

Meet Rich Lebovitz

Richard is a third generation attorney who followed his brother, father, and grandfather into the profession and practiced with them for more than a decade before coming to Baltimore in 2005. He treats every client with respect and integrity, confidently tackling legal issues and protecting clients' rights to the fullest extent of the law.

Member, Maryland Association for JusticeRichard is a member of the Baltimore County, Baltimore City and State of Maryland Bar Associations and the Maryland Association for Justice (formerly Maryland Trial Lawyers Associations).

Contact Us

Email Us

We look forward to hearing from you! You are welcome to call our office, or complete the following short form and we'll call you back in a bit!



Make a payment easily with any major credit or debit card.

Connect on Twitter

Connect on Facebook

Give Us Your Feedback