Close Menu

Can You Modify Child Support in Maryland?

Father holding his daughter's handOnce a child support decision has been made in court, it can be difficult to have it altered. Child support in Maryland can be changed or modified in unique circumstances with the help of a skilled attorney. Modifications to child support in Maryland will not happen automatically in the aftermath of a job loss or change in circumstances. Instead, you need to file a formal motion with the court. Here is what you need to know about the process for modifying child support in Maryland.

How Can You Change a Child Support Order?

There are two different ways that you can modify child support in Maryland. Once every three years, a parent can request that the child support enforcement office review the order for a potential modification or adjustment. When submitting your request, you must put things in writing and keep a copy for your records. In the request, you should include the reason for the request, your signature and date and any additional identifying information.

The second way to modify child support in Maryland is by filing a motion to modify an existing child support order. To do so, you must be able to demonstrate a significant material change in circumstances like one parent suffering a disability, being sent to prison or losing a job.

Understanding a Material Change in Circumstances

Material change in circumstances is one of the most critical aspects of a child support modification case. Anything that significantly alters the conditions or quality of a child’s life could change what custody arrangement is best for the child’s interests. What could be a material change in circumstances?

  • One parent getting a job out of state and wanting to move with the child
  • A parent becoming unfit to take care of a child for any reason, including drug or alcohol dependence, the addition of an unsafe person to their home, etc.
  • A parent becoming more able to take care of a child, which could include an increase in income, overcoming an addiction or moving into a more stable housing situation

It’s critical to work with a lawyer to determine if you have enough to substantiate a material change in circumstances before going to court. A judge will need good evidence to consider your case, and we can help you in gathering and presenting it.

Are You Looking to Modify Child Support in Maryland? Get Help!

If you are a spouse looking to determine if you are eligible for legal custody, joint custody or physical custody of your child after a divorce, Lebovitz Law can help. To learn more about how we can assist you, please contact us today.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn